How to Build a Rewarding Career in Digital Marketing Industry
- June 20, 2017
- Posted by: EduWings
- Category: Eduwings
Thinking of a career in digital marketing in India? You have come to the right place. This article will offer insight on how you can build your career in digital marketing and what the future of digital marketing looks like.
Why is Digital Marketing such a “Hot” job right now?
With a digital marketing career, there is more opportunity for specialization than ever before. This has also been driven by the increase in the number of marketing platforms available to companies. Years ago, there wasn’t the opportunity to tailor your marketing message to the individual – to personalize it. Now with the range of platforms and technologies, personalization is common place.
Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, Snapchat – all these new social channels – this has to lead the rise in the ability for marketers to connect via these channels to their customers and to potential consumers. This is something we simply couldn’t do a few years ago.
Digital marketing training courses help you to learn diverse methods or means of digital marketing as it not only provides marketing through blogs and articles like print marketing but also provides marketing through videos like advertisements shown on televisions.
“Digital Marketing is The Future and We Cannot Deny This Fact.”
Look at These Mind-Blowing Stats:
Look at how JIO is penetrating the market while Airtel is bringing down costs. Observe how high-speed broadband like Act Fibre, Cherrinet are slowly taking over market shares. Do you remember the last time you focused on those newspapers advertisements or those TV advertisements without switching channels? Well, there is a radical shift in how people consume information. Today, people consume more content on mobile phones and laptops.
Don’t you hear your parents, grandparents talking about what has been shared on WhatsApp?
Today’s content is people driven. People trust your words than what has been shared in news channels or television. India has about 180 million Facebook users as of 31st March 2017 and this number is an indication that almost 50% of the Internet-using population in India wants to network. About 95 crore people use mobile phones today in India and is expected to reach 103.5 crores in June 2017. Gone are those days when people used their landline phones. Smartphones are omnipresent in today’s world!
There is a popular saying that goes– “Be there, where your customers are”
You must know that your customers today are on the Internet all the time, networking on social media 24×7 and leading a digital life.
The question is, Is your business a part of their digital life? Most importantly, Have you made yourself digital savvy?
We cannot compare traditional advertising’s reach to digital advertising at this point of time. Nevertheless, Digital Marketing is clean, clear and there is a lot you can achieve with a minimum budget.
The Growing Digital Marketing Career Opportunities:
We believe in the Demand and Supply model. If there is a surplus demand there needs to be enough supply to create quality substance. However, the demand for Digital Marketers is huge and supply is less at this point in time. We are not stating this based on assumptions but by observing these numbers shown by popular channels like LinkedIn and Naukri.
There are quite a few Digital Marketing Training Institutes in India that offer such courses in India. While training candidates in PR agencies and advertising agencies, We can see them taking a lot of effort to add Digital Marketing in their skill sets as they believe in climbing up the Digital Marketing ladder is an imperative to succeed.
W hat does this course have in store for you?
This course will help you explore Digital Marketing.
● If you are a student trying to explore career options – this course will help you to get your digital marketing basics stronger.
● If you are a marketer struggling with the old traditional marketing practices, then this course will help you climb the ladder by enhancing your skill set.
● If you are a businessman who wants to generate leads for business, this course will help you build your brand better.
FAQs about Digital Marketing Career
● Do I need to know technology to be successful Digital Marketing professional?: This is one of the most frequently asked questions about a career in digital marketing. To be successful as a digital marketer, you don’t need to know technology. However, if you know basics of HTML, it will be useful.
● Do I need to be a graduate?: While your educational qualification may play a role in terms of your career growth in digital marketing especially in large corporations, it’s not a major factor for success herein. Interestingly, brands & agencies who ask for MBA as a pre-requisite for digital marketing profiles actually end up missing some great talent.
● Should I specialize in areas such as SEO/SEM or learn entire Digital Marketing?: At the current stage of the industry and for the reason that various digital marketing avenues contribute to the success of others (e.g. Social Media plays a role in improving SEO rankings), I don’t recommend you start your career by looking specialization.
● I am already an SEO expert. Should I learn other aspects of digital marketing?: For the reason mentioned above, a digital marketing professional such as SEO/SEM/Social Media Marketing/Email Marketing expert must broaden his/her horizon to be able to rise to senior job roles in this particular industry.
● What is the pay package a digital marketer usually gets? Digital Marketing as a career option is growing at an exponential rate and this is the pay package for Digital Marketers in India.
● Executive (0 to 1 year of experience) 1.5 to 3 Lakhs per annum.
● Specialist (1 to 3 years of experience) 2. to 4 Lakhs per annum.
● Team Leader (2 to 5 years of experience) 2.5 to 5 Lakhs per annum.
● Digital Strategist (3 to 5 years of experience) 4 to 8 Lakhs per annum.
● Digital Marketing Manager or Head (5 to 10 years of experience) 8 to 25 Lakhs per annum.
● Digital Marketing Director (10 years of experience) 25 to 40 Lakhs per annum with stakes in the company
Digital and Social Media Marketing has revolutionized the world. It is your turn to be a part of this revolution through my Free course on Digital Marketing.
● Is content writing really important? I am not good at writing content.
Okay! We don’t understand the point of this question. We have a question for you. Don’t you have to learn Accounts to become a Chartered Accountant? Don’t you have to learn to code to become a software engineer? Don’t you have to do your MBBS to become a Doctor? Content is the heart of Digital Marketing and you either have to excel in making content or sourcing the right content. There are jobs in Digital Marketing which doesn’t require too much of content skills. Example: Google Advertisements, Link Building, Google Analytics or Data Modelling, But, content is the core.
Start learning Digital Marketing and as you learn, start implementing. Implement this for your business, take up projects for your neighbor’s business, your dad’s or even a freelance project.
Digital Marketing is not about reading books and remembering the history of incidents. It’s about today and about tomorrow.
● I have got the Certification, But I haven’t got the Job – So what should I do?
Well, I am sorry that you haven’t got a job even after getting certifications in Digital Marketing. There could be three reasons:
● You haven’t got great content skills.
● You aren’t a practitioner.
● You aren’t able to prove your knowledge in the interview.
What should I add to my resume to make it look attractive?
First of all, a resume has to be unique. So We cannot say what is good for your profile. But, We can say what usually impresses marketers.
• Your personal blog on Digital Marketing or any subject of your interest.
• Your active, polished Social Media channels.
• Recommendations on your LinkedIn profile.
• The campaigns you have done so far.
• Budgets you have spent so far as an advertiser.
• Your creativity in your resume.
Kinds of Job Opportunities in Digital Marketing Industry-
Based on your interest, you can choose to work in either of the following 3 kinds of organizations as a digital marketing professional. The kind of work and variety of job profiles make online marketing career even a bigger opportunity.
● Digital Marketing Agency: There are a number of small, mid and large digital marketing agencies, who serve their clients by offering various kinds of digital marketing services across SEO, SEM, Social Media Marketing etc. Even a traditional advertising agency is forced to offer digital marketing service. If you work in such an agency then you get an opportunity to work with multiple clients and enjoy the variety of work. However, you are unlikely to build depth as it would be practically impossible to go deeper for a particular client unless you are working for a particular brand.
● A brand leveraging Digital Marketing: You can also choose to work for a particular brand or an organization, who’s actively leveraging digital marketing for its own growth. Unlike working for a digital marketing agency, where you enjoy variety, you acquire in-depth expertise when you work for a particular organization.
● Digital Marketing Tool/Platform Company: Another opportunity to grow in your career in digital marketing is to work for tool or platform companies such as Google, LinkedIn, Facebook, Adobe, Salesforce. The kind of work and associated learning in these kinds of companies is going to vary a lot and will be quite different compared to working at an agency or a brand. Also, such job opportunities are limited but these kinds of jobs will offer a much higher salary.
In addition to these full-time jobs in digital marketing, one can opt for freelancing/part-time/work-from-home opportunities in this industry.
Skills Required for a Successful Digital Marketing Career-
In addition to the technical skills (e.g. about SEO, SEM, Social Media Marketing), following are the skills you would need to be a successful Digital Marketing professional. To the degree, one has these skills to the same degree one can expect success & growth as a digital marketer.
● Creativity: Given the amount of content & conversations on a digital medium, creativity plays an important role in differentiating a brand among its peers.
● Analytical Ability: Given measurability is one of the key strengths required, analytical skills are critical to being a successful digital marketer.
● Communication Skills: For most of the profiles in this domain, good communication skills especially are written communication are important. In absence of good communication, one has to rely on an external resource and that’s not always feasible & is inefficient.
● The quest for Learning: Given the dynamic nature of digital media, one has to be open and should be hungry to learn newer trends & skills to move ahead of others.
● Passion for Digital Media: Digital Marketing professionals who are genuinely passionate about digital media will surely see more success coming their way in terms of results of their campaign and their career growth.
● Multitasking: Most of the internet campaigns involve multiple digital media channels and continuous activities. In order to successfully manage this spread of online marketing campaigns, multitasking is another important skill for any digital marketer.
● Networking: As shared earlier, Quest for Learning is a desired attitude in any digital marketing professional. Networking skills (especially online) play an important role for any digital marketer to stay abreast about latest trends & techniques in internet marketing.
● Comfort with Technology: While knowledge or experience of technology is not required for a digital marketer, one’s comfort with technology and associated changes is another important element for success in online marketing.
● Willingness to Experiment: Digital Marketing is an evolving field and there are no defined rules for success. One’s willingness and ability to experiment with digital marketing also plays an important role in determining the success of such campaigns.
It is very surprising that this is the state of affairs in the country because the opportunities for a Digital Marketing professional are huge in India right now. This is not just in terms of career growth opportunities, but in monetary terms as well. A fresh graduate can easily obtain a role with a salary close to 25K per month to 6 Lacs per annum, while experienced professionals can command remunerations in the range of 20 lakhs – 75 per annum.
Unlike a few years ago, it is a bit of a challenge to stay up to date in the Digital Marketing industry today. It is no longer enough to read a few blogs and the occasional book. This is probably enough to have a superficial knowledge of the industry and is certainly a good starting point. But it is nowhere near enough if you want to become a skilled professional.
With such a wide array of new opportunities available digital marketers can afford to get picky about the type of company, they’d like to work for. We’d encourage you to take advantage of this choice and think of what kind of business best suits your career needs.
Hope this article gave you a pretty good idea about the digital marketing jobs and career options available in India.
Learn and progress along a digital marketing career path with Eduwing’s certification in Digital Marketing.